Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The nite before we leave for DC

Just got word today we will be standing (along with how many 10's of thousands of others) directly infront of the Capitol Building stairs, slightly to the right side. Blue/West is the area designated. Hearing alot about road and bridge closings as the security forces test prepare for anything possible. I'm trying to post a diagram we got of the lay-out of viewing areas......will see if I can do it.

Here is the link if I can't paste it here...... http://inaugural.senate.gov/2009/index.cfm. Looks like you will have to paste it into your browser to go to the site.......the link will take you to a site of alot of inaugural things, but on the top and right hand side is the map of the Capitol and viewing sections.

Here is a poem we heard read by the poet, Elizabeth Alexander, on PBS the other nite. She will be reading her Inaugural Poem next Tuesday on the steps of the capitol.

Ars Poetica #100:

I Believe
Poetry, I tell my students,
is idiosyncratic. Poetry
is where we are ourselves,
(though Sterling Brown said
“Every ‘I’ is a dramatic ‘I’”)
digging in the clam flats
for the shell that snaps,
emptying the proverbial pocketbook.
Poetry is what you find
in the dirt in the corner,
overhear on the bus, God
in the details, the only way
to get from here to there.
Poetry (and now my voice is rising)
is not all love, love, love,
and I’m sorry the dog died.
Poetry (here I hear myself loudest)
is the human voice,
and are we not of interest to each other?

Elizabeth Alexander

And to you reading this, thanks for checking in.....Love, D and M

Ars Poetica #100: I Believeh other?

No comments:

Post a Comment